There are a few Mustang Registration Associations out there, but I never really looked into them, until a new Mustang Registry was formed this year. I liked what I saw. Really liked what I saw. It was going to be similar to other breed associations. Which means that we earn points for taking our mustangs to horse shows, going on organized trail rides and just getting out there and working our 'stangs on the ground and in saddle (like the APHA Ride America program that I am involved in with Fritzy). We have log sheets where we log all hours riding, training, trail riding and doing ground work. There will be year end awards based off of the earned points total at the end of the year. And it just gives a lot more motivation to get out there and ride our 'stangs.
So with that said, the Wild Horse & Burro Association (WHBA) was formed and I am a new member. I went to the first WHBA meeting for my states chapter on Sunday to learn more about the association and I got a lot of my questions answered. I just sent off my registration paper work for Chance and Rio today. My ponies will soon be registered. But..... we all know that all new associations have to start registration numbers with number one, right? Well, the WHBA decided to have an auction to auction off that coveted number one registration. It wasn't until about a week into the auction that I decided to bid. I had really started thinking about it and I thought that Chance would be so perfect to have that number one spot. I mean, she is number one to me. But there is so much more to her story (and mine) and I thought it would be perfectly fitting for my wild 'stang. Well, I was out bid. I bid again. I was out bid. I bid again. The auction was to last for a couple weeks, so I had plenty of time. I had set a price in my head on how much I would pay for that number one spot. Some people backed out because it got to be too much for them. I kept bidding. The last day of the auction was February 14th. On that day I was a nervous wreck. I really wanted that number one registration. A girl out bid me. I waited until the last couple minutes and put in another bid. That girl somehow got one more bid in. I thought to myself, heck. I am throwing one more bid out there and if I don't get it in by the ending time, oh well. I tried. I got my last and final bid in, not knowing who actually won. About half an hour later, the Vice President of the association PM'd me on Facebook to tell me I had won. What? I WON? Yes! My last bid made it in just in time!!!
![]() |
| Registration Number One will go to Chance!! |
So my beautiful girl Chance will have the Number One on her registration papers. I had to do an interview and I was spotlighted in the WHBA newsletter. Of course the association wanted pictures of Chance and I holding the certificate so they could have photos to plaster all over Facebook and the associations website. So one afternoon after my OH and I fed the horses, I brought Chance out for a photo shoot. Now remember, Chance hasn't been ridden since September. I wanted to give her the winter off to grow up more. Also remember, Chance has only had about 2 dozen rides total. So after having 5 months off from anything and everything, I had my OH give me a leg up and I climbed aboard. Bareback. With only a halter and lead rope. Not the smartest thing to do with a super green, getting the winter off... baby. But I didn't have any worries, because this IS Chance I am talking about.
![]() |
| Such a super good girl! |
She might have been a little grouchy, but it WAS dinner time and I took her away from dinner. That is why she doesn't have her ears forward in the pictures. But for her to just let me climb on bareback, with only a halter and lead rope after having 5 months off and at dinner time.... and not throwing a temper tantrum? This is one super special 'stang!!
![]() |
| Put those ears forward Chance! |
This is why I wanted that Number One in the registry. My girl is number one. She deserves it.
This last picture didn't make the final cut to send in to the association, due to my eye's being closed, bad lighting and my OH's shadow. But I thought it was cute!
![]() |
| Chance says "That's right, look who's Number One!!" |
I am excited for the opportunities of being involved with the WHBA and can't wait for some warmer, drier weather to get out there and ride my 'stang! I already have a couple organized trail rides that I am planning on going to in April and June. And that doesn't count everything else that I have planned. Chance is going to be my main riding horse this year, so we will be racking up the points!! Plus I earn points for gentling Rio, which is fantastic! I will share their registered names in another post. I want to make sure that I get the names I picked before I say what they are. This is going to be so much fun!






19 comments:
Awesomeness!!! Congrats!!!
this is awesome congrats! love the picss
I notice you didn't ell us the final bid amount. I hope you didn't have to take out a loan! Congratulations. You certainly have yourself a sweetheart.
Susan- I was actually going to put my winning bid in this post, but somehow I missed it. So for those of you who want to know what it cost me to have registration #1.... $265.00. I really thought it was going to climb much higher than that, but thankfully it didn't. Chance is definitely worth that to me!
How cool!! She'll be famous forever! :)
Oh my goodness, girl!!! You are lucky and I'm jealous!!! I'm joining.
That is really great! Congrats to you and your #1 girl.
Awesome! Congrats! Love that last shot!
That is really neat!! How cool that Chance is #1! I can't wait to see what you guys are up to this summer - I hope you get out riding a lot...
I think the ride logs for the different breed associations are pretty neat - gives the non-show people something to work towards...
I am trying to figure out how it is that I am not already following this blog. Regardless, I am now.
Congratulations! That is very very cool.
That is so cool! Congrats on number one number for Chance :) I too am a member of the Ride America program (although in my case is more ride Canada, but whatever. I think its great way to keep track of riding hours.
Congratulations!!!!I love that last pic!
Whoop!!! So exciting! Congrats!
Chance is so pretty! And you two look great together. I love that last photo so much!!
~Lisa
That seems like a very reasonable price for being number one! This is such a great story. And I love the photos.
Congrats ! Also was good to learn about the new registry.
Wow! Congratulations! I love the photos and can't wait to see what's next for you two.
As if the number one registration number was not fabulous enough, your pictures are so much fun! Chance! What a great pony! Look at how she plays for the camera! And look at your curls! Your blog is always so interesting! AND I LOVE YOUR COWGIRL HAT! Where'd ya get dat????????
Baystatebrumby- thanks! My mom got me the Cowgirl hat quite a few years ago. Not sure where... I think it was a local farm store though.
That is so cool!! Congrats!!
Post a Comment