I had my second trail challenge with Chance a week and a half ago. And when it took me 45 minutes to get Chance loaded in the horse trailer, I just knew it was going to be one of those days! Ever since we brought Flirt home, Chance has been a pill. She went into heat and has just been awful. She has never been like this when she is in heat. So when she absolutely refused to go in the trailer...... I said "You are absolutely going in the trailer!" I finally got her loaded and went to pick up my friend. (Chance will be going back to trailer loading school.... she has NEVER been a problem to load.)
We arrive at our destination about half an hour before the start time of the trail challenge. The woman who put on the trail challenge told us to head out for a trail ride first and when we got back the course would be ready for us. The trail head was packed, there were way more people there this time, but also the weather was quite a bit nicer then the time before! The sun was peeking through the clouds and it looked like it was going to be a gorgeous day out. So we saddled up our ponies and headed out to the trails. I had never ridden the trails out there before, but they had marked the trails with ribbons, so as long as we followed the marked ribbons, we would not get lost. Hopefully.
![]() |
| Lovin' on my girl, Chance. |
We arrive back at the trail head and got ready to do the trail challenge. We watched a few riders go through the course. My friend and her horse were going to be my buddy rider again. By watching the other horses, I felt that Chance should be able to do every obstacle. My OH did not come this time, so I do not have pictures, but the trail course consisted of walking through branches, trotting a figure eight around 2 trees and then to whoa and back up. Then we were to pick up a canvas bag off a barrel and carry it through a "mud" bridge and drop it on another barrel, where we then had to open and close a rope gate. I had been practicing picking things up and I can open and close my arena gate while on Chance, just had never done a rope gate, but thought it should be doable. While in line waiting for our turn (there were probably 35 horses there that day) I was talking to some other mustang people. They just loved Chance. I told everyone she was really green, but I was trying to get her out and experience a lot of different things while she was young.
When it was my turn to go, my friend rode onto the course first. We followed behind. She stopped by the barrel to give us room to trot the figure eight, which Chance did quite well at. I have trotted figure eights at home, but on a much larger scale then we had to on the trail course. Chance had the most awesome whoa and back, ever. I was pretty happy so far. Then we walked up to the barrel. She didn't really like the barrel, I don't have any barrels to practice with at home, but she doesn't usually give me a problem going up to something new. I got her up as close as I could to the barrel and reached down to pick up the canvas bag. Chance eyeballed the bag for a couple seconds and as I was bringing the bag in to me, Chance blew up. Literally. Full on bucking bronco. I had just found myself in the middle of a rodeo, riding a saddle bronc. I dropped the bag immediately and every time I am in this kind of situation.... I just CAN'T think straight. Like, why the heck didn't I try and pull her head around? What the heck? Instead I just try to ride out the darn bucks. After a few seconds, I thought I was coming off, but then I felt myself gain control back and thought I had it. Well, then the bucks were getting bigger and bigger. Her nose was to the ground. And stupid me, did nothing. I just can't think in these kind of situations. I knew I was coming off at that point. I started sliding, I pulled my feet out of the stirrups and down I go. I looked up and it looked like Chance was going to come down on top of me and I rolled off to the side... as she ran off and continued bucking. I jumped up pretty quickly. I had heard everyone yelling my name, asking if I was okay. I just nodded and went to get my horse. My friend had jumped off of her horse and we tried introducing the canvas bag to Chance again.... from the ground. Well, what the trail course people had neglected to tell me, was that there were noisemakers IN the bag. I had not practiced that yet with Chance. If I had known there were noisemakers IN the bag, I would have skipped that challenge. (The same trail course was used for green horses, as well as experienced horses.)
So I got back on and finished the trail course. I did not open the rope gate, since I had not practiced with ropes, only a real gate and considering how Chance reacted to noisemakers in a canvas bag.... I had my friend open the rope and I rode through. So we sure finished the trail challenge in style. We rode around the parking lot afterwards, it was the only place to ride. If I had an arena, I would have worked her butt pretty good. But I didn't have that option.
Immediately after I hit the dirt and got back up, I knew my legs were pretty messed up. They hurt so bad. While she was bucking, I kept coming down on the pommel of my saddle. I knew I was going to have some nasty bruises on my thighs. My right shoulder was a tad sore, but other then my legs taking most of the beating, I felt fine. We hung out for about another hour and a half. Everyone kept coming up to me and giving me a hug, making sure I was okay. Chance has never reacted by bucking, NEVER. She is spooky, but she usually just tries to turn the other way or jumps to the side. She has never bucked. Never. Not even the first time she was saddled and I got ON her the first time she was saddled. She has been so good about everything. I know I have been pushing her pretty hard. She has ONLY been under saddle a total of maybe 45 days, and approximately 22 of those days are from last summer, she had the winter off and then the rest of the rides are from this spring. So she is super green. I probably shouldn't be doing these trail challenges with her yet. But I want to get her out and to experience all there is to experience. I don't want her to be 9 years old and only been ridden 9 times with a couple trail rides (that is how old Brandy was when I got her and how many times she had been ridden, she was so green and it took years to get her to where she is today... and she is now 18.)
So I have a lot more desensitizing to do with Chance. I do not have any more trail challenges coming up this year. I will get her more broke in the arena and take her out on some less challenging trail rides to get that experience. She just needs miles, lots and lots of miles.
And guess what? We took 2nd place in the green horse division and 3rd place in the mustang division. How about that? I swear they must have thrown in a few extra points for the most stylish, unscheduled dismount!!
Oh and the next day? I was extremely sore. I couldn't move my neck, my shoulder hurt bad and my legs were badly bruised. But after a couple days, my neck and shoulder were better. It's been a week and a half and I still have bad bruises on my thighs. This was the first time in 7 years that I have been dumped. And I sure hope it's the last!



14 comments:
Oh my! That was totally unexpected for Chance. I'd expect it from Yalla! I'm glad you are okay.
You just never know...
Sorry you got thrown! Ouch!!
Glad you got to to the trail challenge. I am hoping to do one down here in July again, had a blast last year. Will be taking Emma this year! should be interesting! LOL
I so feel for you as Hokey Pokey bucked me a treat to .....had never done it before and it is so hard to think fast and get that head pulled around. It is also hard to forget that moment!........like you I am going for less challenging and just miles and miles of successful riding. Hope the bruises don't look too bad and you heal up fast!
Oh, how frustrating... that you weren't informed about the noisemakers and that you had to discover that Chance could go rodeo on you. Now you probably will have to deal with fear issues because your body remembers the pain even after it is long gone. The good news is that Bombay did that once with me when he was green, and never again. I suspect the horse probably feels some pain after all those acrobatics too. I haven't heard of any horses that continued to buck after incidents like that. You must be so proud of yourself for finishing the challenge and placing! That's a huge accomplishment. You go, cowgirl!
The last time I was on a bucking bronc, I was thinking about hanging on and nothing else. I wasn't about to try and pull his head around because I didn't want to end up hitting the dirt. So I definitely see where you're coming from there! My bronc didn't buck as long as Chance did, though, so I managed to hang on until the ride was over.
I hope you're back to 100% soon!!
So glad you weren't hurt too bad! That sounds scary! Poor you - poor Chance too - she must have been terrified to act like that!
Wow! heckofa ride!!! glad you were not too badly hurt and don't fuss too much about not pulling her around, sounds to me like she was in it to win it , and sometimes its lust better to plan the dismount than fight
Oh no - too bad about the unscheduled dismount...sounds like you hung on longer than I would have! Don't be too hard on yourself for not thinking when that stuff happens - it is really hard to keep it together. I can't do it either.
Good for you for getting back on and finishing the ride.
I hope you aren't sore anymore!
Story, yes I have had sever neck/back issues that have been under control with Chiro and Massage Therapy for the last year. I was worried about my neck and the next day it hurt so bad. But it only took a couple days for my neck to feel better. Although at my massage appointment last week, my therapist said my neck was like a tree stump, so I am going back today to see if she can get it worked out!
Ouch! I think its easier to think through those situations when they happen regularily but when out of the blue it is hard to think, I always am kicking myself later for what I should have done. Hope thats the end of the bucking for her though.
Ouch!!! So sorry you got dumped. :( I can't think during those situations either so I understand what you were saying. I'm glad you're okay!
OMG I could not believe what I was reading! I got thrown by a mare I had purchased as a brood mare years ago, and her bucking was true rodeo style straight up with a twist! When she got internally stressed, it would come out of nowhere.
I tore my ACL when I came off her and against a fence post...and couldn't ride for a year after that..I swore I would never ride a horse that wasn't dead broke after that..I am just to old for it!
You are one brave strong woman!!!!
Jan
I've been there...had a pony when I was 15 pull full blown rodeo because a wasp stung him or something (There was a sting or bite mark on him afterwards).
Had a Quarter Horse do a nice little buck and twist and throw me, but it wasn't a surprise. He's a fun ride when he behaves, but if I hear that somebody fell off him I never even ASK what happened...
I totally missed this post last week. But wow!
I'm so glad you are ok, and her as well. It is a set back for sure, but hopefully not majorly so. Probably just stepping back and focusing more on desensitizing like you said, will do the trick.
The last time I had a horse buck like that (with me on her) I didn't even get time to think about riding it out. It was tits over teakettle and off I went! At least you rode it out.
I agree there is something in the air with these mares, mine is whacked this year, and it is making one of my geldings go insane!
Post a Comment