Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bragging Rights

Today was the first day I was alone at work, well, I have been alone at work before, but this is the first day since everyone else left for the horse show. I cruised through my turn outs and lunges. I wanted to make sure I took my lunch before the halter trainer showed up and needed my assistance with the halter horses.



Chance at 5 months old.


I pretty much handle only the horses that the head trainer trains, which are all 3 years old and older. I don't do much with the yearlings at all. But since the other girl who works for us went to the horse show, I would be in charge of over 50 horses, including the yearlings (this does not include all the horses that are permanently in turn outs, we have over 100+ horses at our farm and I only handle the ones that are in the 3 barns.)



Chance at 5 months old.


I brought my first yearling out to lunge. I have seen the yearlings being lunged before and they always look like they are a little wild, so I figured I'd have my work cut out for me. The first one was a little hot. But she was manageable. The second one I thought would be good to lunge, but he ended up being a real brat. We had a tug-o-war match going on, he wanted to get away and I wanted him to listen to me and behave. I mean seriously, these yearlings get lunged for 15-25 minutes a day, 5 days a week! They are all halter babies, so they need to stay conditioned. I figured with all the lunging they get, they would know how. Apparently not. I guess I should have paid more attention to who was doing the lunging. Anyways, back to the colt. He tried switching directions and got the lunge line on the other side of his head. Once they do that, all control is lost. But I hung on for dear life and even though we ended up on the other side of the arena, I finally got him stopped and righted the lunge line. And here I thought he was going to be the good one! Once we switched directions when I wanted to, he actually did much better.



One of Chance's first lunging lessons.


My third yearling did much better. She wasn't out of control and she actually lunged in a pretty circle. Much better! There are many more yearlings that need to be lunged but I can't get to 50 horses in a day. So a few didn't get lunged. They will be first on my list tomorrow morning. We will see how that goes. I also have to say that the some of the yearlings (a couple of the new client horses) haven't had much handling. They are scared of everything and I can tell I am going to have my hands full the next couple days.



Chance lunging like a pro.


The reason I brought all this up is because I just have to brag about my OWN yearling, Chance. I have lunged her maybe 8 times and she lunges better then any of those yearlings at work who get lunged 5 days a week. I am lucky if I get Chance lunged once a week. She totally understands the concept, pays attention to my body language and listens to me. We don't play tug-o-war lunge line games. She goes out, does her job and we call it a day. I'm not saying that Chance is perfect by any means, oh all right, she is perfect! But I really think it makes a difference on who does the handling and training of the babies. We go through help so quickly at work and the babies aren't being handled consistently. I think that makes a big difference. When I handle Chance, I am pretty much the only one that does handle her and she knows what is to be expected of her. If I let my OH lunge her one day, I bet she would try to pull something over on him (I may have to experiment with that one day to see if my theory is correct!)

Anyways, I just had to write about how perfect I think my little Mustang Chance is, compared to the expensive Arabians at work! Have I said how much I love my Mustang lately?

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the issue with the horses being lunged 5 times a week is they are overfed and underturned out. I've dealt with a few halter horses before, specifically the yearlings and they were all a little squirrely.

Mama H said...

You are so cute when you talk about your baby! I can almost see you swelled up with pride! From what I've, Chance IS a great little girl, going to grow up to be a great horse. But, I hope you realize that the majority of that is credit to YOU! Don't you realize you are amazing too!?!?

Andrea said...

Chance sounds a lot like my Josephine, just smart. My other filly...uhm...well...she is stupid! I HATE working with her. She is a big tank that likes to use her body weight to get out of doing things. And she is lazy. I have done the same work with both babies and one is good and the other is bad. So, I am not sure if you can really say it's the training in my situation...it's just the horses. Josephine is an angel to lunge, Luna, is a witch!

Paint Girl said...

Andrea~ Yes, I do agree with you. Horses can be stupid too, we have plenty of those at work! I was hoping that Luna would get better for you, sorry to hear she is still being a witch!!

Dusty Devoe said...

LOVE all the pictures of Chance! She is so funny and cute in some. And that last one she is just a beauty! I am glad she is such a good girl for you. HUGS!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Chance is a star!

Pony Girl said...

I kinda have to agree with Sydney, except that I can't remember if your barn's yearlings are stalled all day or turned out in pastures? If they are stalled all day except for a 15 minute lounge, I don't blame them for being wild! ;)
I would like to be your guinea pig for longing Chance sometime, too! ;)
Be careful and stay safe while you are working w/all those babies! k

Anonymous said...

Your Chance is perfect at lunging because you have been firm and consistent when you work with her. And, she is a pure beauty.

Leah Fry said...

Chance is really looking good, too. She's filling out nicely.

Trailboss said...

Chance is really looking good girl. You and she are going to have a wonderful and long life together!

JJ said...

I love it! Chance really is so cute. If I had to have my choice between any of those Arabian yearlings to lunge, or Chance, I'd take Chance in a heartbeat!

I hope you have an easy day lunging the rest of the Yearlings!!

juliette said...

You have every right to brag! Your Chance IS perfect. She is just lovely and behaves so well. I am happy for you and the home you gave her!

Tara said...

It sounds like you will be getting a workout yourself,exercising all those horses!I am sure your Chance IS perfect, I believe you completely!

Tammy Vasa said...

Keep up the great work with your yearling! You are doing right by her!

Autumn Mist said...

It just goes to show what consistent, kind handling can do. Just be careful with those yearlings, though, you've had enough bumps for the time being!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

LOL I loved your post! I just had to chuckle because I know oh so well the hanging on till they stop crap!! Those first few lessons are always a booger!! Now having them done 5 days a week they should be better!! YAY Chance for showing them up!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Be careful with those crazy, energetic yearlings. You sure do have a lot of responsibility at your job, don't you?
Yay for Chance! She's one smart cookie!


~Lisa

Jenny said...

Chance is a beautiful horse. I don't know anything about training them but it sure looks like you are a pro at it.

baystatebrumby said...

My gawd she is growing up! But that's what happens when you have a mama who loves you.