![]() |
| My creek is usually about a foot wide and here it is about 4-5 feet wide. |
![]() |
| Pond after record rainfall. |
Lesson 2 last week was strange. She trotted down to the gate when I walked up to her corral, which is normal. Then when I went to get the wheelbarrow that is stored on the other side of her shed, she trotted up and into her shed with me right there, which is not normal. As I was pushing the wheelbarrow down to the corral gate, she ran back down to the gate. I went into her corral and she was trotting circles around me as I was scooping poop, which is not normal. I locked her into the lower half of her corral and did some stick/glove work with her. She either wasn't into the lesson or her mind was elsewhere. She would hardly hold still while I was petting her and she kept trotting off and digging holes in the mud and just not into the lesson at all, which is not normal. I kept it short and sweet and stopped at a good point. I opened up her corral and I went into her shed to put some treats in her grain bin. Rio likes her treats, but she will not take treats out of my hand, nor has she ever shown any interest in coming into the shed while I am in there. She usually stands from afar and watches what I am doing in there. Then when I leave the corral she will go in there. But this day as I was dropping treats in her grain bin, I heard her tromping through the mud behind me. I turned to see what she was doing and she was right at the shed entrance. Well, how about that. So I moved over to the other side to give her an opening to come in if she wanted to and she walked right in while I was standing in there. This is NOT normal. She started munching on her hay. So I stood there and watched her. She would back out a few feet then come back in and eat. She did that a few times. I then wanted to leave her shed and I knew she would probably leave when I tried walking out. I started walking out and she backed up a few feet then went right back in. I watched her for a couple minutes then left. Overall it was the strangest lesson I have had with Rio.
![]() |
| Rio decides it is okay to be in her shed with me in there. |
On the 3rd lesson of the week, I did stick/glove on her left and right side then after about 10 minutes I put the stick down and decided that I needed to get back to petting her with my hand again. I had been doing a little bit of this since the drag rope incident, but she has not wanted me up that close to her at all. So as I tried to approach her, she would walk away and I kept right up with her until she stopped. I would be able to get a couple feet of her and I reached my hand out and was able to pet her butt. But she did not want my body close to her wither/shoulder/neck area. So I had to really reach out to pet her wither and shoulder, which made it very difficult. I was also taking treats and dropping them in a grain tub on the ground in front of her to reward her. She was enjoying her treats, but when I backed off to release the pressure, she would walk away and then when I went walk up to her again, she would walk away and circle for a few minutes until finally she would stop so I could get close to her. We did this over and over and over. She just wasn't trusting enough to let me get that close to her. I did get to pet her a lot, but she won't let me get close to her neck like she did before the drag rope incident. You would think that by now she would enjoy the petting and really want it. But it's like she just doesn't care.
It is supposed to rain pretty hard this week. Right now there is a break in the rain so I better get out there and try to get some Rio petting in before the clouds open up. I am hoping this weeks lessons aren't as strange as last week!





10 comments:
Rio's expression in that picture reminds me of the scared bunnies I have around here.
Wow that's a LOT of water!!!
It sucks that the drag rope incident set you back so far, but don't worry, you will get it back. She just needs time.
I was watching some of my old videos of Chrome and Zep and was amazed in one of them when I just reached up and rubbed Zep's face, then reached over his neck and rubbed his shoulder. Wow! There's no way I could get close enough to do that now. Being out on thirty acres has made him a lot more wary of me again. I've also had to corner and catch him a few times for routine stuff like worming. I really need to start clicker training him again because that's when we made so much progress. I guess it's time to bring out the target stick again.
Good luck with Rio! And the weather lol.
send water here, send it all here!
Funny how horses always have ways of surprising us.
Wonderful Winter in the NW!!
I have lakes on each side of my barn! But they are safe and dry inside!
Rio seems to be a tough cookie!!
One step forward... I guess that is how it is , but I am sure she will come around. Wow that is a lot of water
Sounds like Rio Has chosen to create a new kind of normal....in her own time. And you just have to play along by her rules.
Good thing you have a lot of patience!
And it seems you have given Rio the perfect name with all that rain there, because you really do have a river running through your property! lol!
We sure could use some of that rain, but even though we need a lot, I still wouldn't want that much rain! eeek!
~Lisa
Wow cant imagine that much rain, we have over a foot of snow so Its hard for me to think of rain now.
Rio sure is keepin it interesting for you isn't she, tho I am sure she will come around in her own sweet time.
That is a lot of water! I hope you get a few dry days here and there so you don't all wash away! :-S
I'm sure your patience with Rio will pay off eventually. She sure is making things interesting for you though, isn't she?
I'm glad your work with Rio is still going steady! And boy, I haven't seen water running through property like that in years!
Wow amazing creek. I and my pony used to swim in the creek when I was a kid. Glad to hear some development with
Rio. She looks so well and sweet.
Post a Comment