I sat in the silenced dark for a few hours, trying to read by candle light. I didn't want to wake my OH up to have him hook up the generator. I have hooked the generator up by myself before, but that was last winter and I had some practice that season due to many wind storms. I am not very good at remembering how to do things if I don't do them often enough, so attempting the generator was not an option.
I finally went to bed and woke up at 4:00 a.m. to my OH asking if I would unhook the generator before I went to work. He was going to get it started so we could run the fridge and fish aquariums. We have a lot of experience with extended power outages, since we do lose power 99.9% of the time during wind storms. And we have learned over the years that since we have chosen to live on the outskirts of town that we are not on PUD's priority list for getting our power back on quickly. We do have many trees that fall during these storms and one of the roads going out of our neighborhood was shut down, most likely to downed trees over the power lines. So we knew it could be awhile.
Pictures taken from the snow storm in December 2008. We had over 2 feet of snow, and it stuck around for a long time....something we are not used to here.

Later that morning I arrived to work at 8:00 a.m. Besides being dark at home, it was also dark at the barn. Pitch dark. We went and checked all the horses outside to make sure that they were all okay. A couple of the run in sheds lost some roofing. But all the horses looked okay. We are on a well at the farm, so we had to get the generator out at work so we could get water to the horses. My boss also hooked up some lights in the main barn aisle way so we could sorta see what we were doing. We pretty much just lunged horses all day. Our arena that is right off the main barn, is only enclosed on 2 sides, so we do get natural light there. It was just hard to see when we were in the barn itself. My boss also long lined a few horses in the round pen. We got every horse turned out and I was back home by 3:00 p.m.

It was still dark at home. So I called my OH to have him walk me through hooking the generator back up. I wanted to get the fridge and fish tanks going again. I got it working, after fighting with the darn thing for a few minutes. I made a fire in the wood stove and then sat down to read my book. I was bored.There isn't much to do when you have no power. Most of the time when we don't have power, we still have cable, so with the generator running we can watch t.v., but this was not the case. When the power went out, so did the cable and the phone. I felt like I was Laura Ingalls on Little House On The Prairie.
My OH picked us up dinner from Five Guys Burger and Fries. We tried to stay warm. He went to bed while I continued reading my book, hoping the power would come on soon. It had been 21 hours since the power went out.
It was just about midnight and I was thinking of going to bed. I had one more chapter in my book I was going to read when I heard the familiar beeping sound from the microwave. Power! Light! Thank goodness! 27 hours later, and I finally felt a little civilized again. I went to shut down the generator and then crawled into bed.

Now there is talk of potential snow over the weekend. It has been quite cold here already, but it is supposed to be in the 20's with highs in the low 30's, gasp! We do get some cold weather here, but not all that often. We are really just used to a lot of rain. When it snows here, everything shuts down. People here do not know how to drive in the snow. They literally freak out. I don't mind if it snows, as long as it doesn't stick around for long. Although I hear we are supposed to have a really cold, wet and snowy winter.......the worst one we've had since the 1950's. Maybe it will be something to look forward to.....a dreary winter.


25 comments:
I know what having lots of snow and or wind and no power is like! thank GAWD for the woodstove. we keep saying we are going to get a genrator and then we neverr do. Maybe this year we will finally do it. Sometimes I like the quietness of having no power. But I do not like not having a toilet in perfect working order! That is always the WORST!! I am glad your power came on . But what about thia weekend! SNOW! Eeek, better get out your longjohns!!
I hate when the power goes off... I'm always walking around trying to turn the lights on forgetting that there is NO power.
I'm glad you had minimal damage and no one was hurt.
27 hours is way too long!!
That is aone long power outage! we have had a couple that lasted 10 -15 hrs but I think that is the longest! Good that you have the generator!
That was a long power outage. Sure is good you've got that generator.
yikes, we had a power outage last year about that long, but not so far this year (fingers crossed) Generators are amazing, thank goodness someone invented them for us!
Ok bloggers are gonna curse us with posting the snow photos!! Eeek I do not want it, do not want it whatsoever. Ok Maybe ONE sleigh ride. Then it can go back to Alaska.
Gasp. I'm ready to move to Arizona looking at that.
All of our private powerlines are underground and we have no tall trees alongside the roadways to snag the company lines, so we've only been without power one time in 3 years, for less than an hour. I guess we're kind of spoiled. And we get seriously strong wind storms and snow up here, too.
Our temps have been down into the low 20's at night, but during the day they've gone up into the 60's. We've had no accumulations of snow and only one tiny flurry. Usually by this time of year we've had several snowfalls with several inches or more of accumulation.
I think we're going to have a very mild winter, unlike last year where it snowed every week all winter. gah!
Sounds like you guys may be getting what we had last year. I hope not, but snow is prettier than rain, right? :)
~Lisa
scary photos!!! why did you have to do that!? *lol*
losing power in winter was just part of normal life in seattle. i remember once we lost power on queen anne and all the computers in the office just went click...dead. and the heat too, so it was like dead silence, so creepy!
here in germany the powerlines are underground, what seems really practical in winter. losing power is not normal in cities, but out here where we live (bfe) our power line is american style, hanging from poles over the street. so anything goes.
Goodness Gracious! I 'bout had heart failure when I seen those snow pictures pop up in the feed! I was thinking that much snow already?! LOL!! Glad it wasn't that but sure sorry to hear you were without power for so long! I get so frustrated when our power is out! We had a generator once...But it burned in our barn fire and the Hubby never replaced it?! We had a terribly rainy day Wednesday and then we had snow coming down! I was furious! Luckily it wasn't cold enough to stick...It's way to early to be dealing with that crap! I HATE snow LOL!!
Oh Paint Girl - 27 hours without power - that is horrible. I dread the winter winds and snow...your photo looks like our normal snowfall around here. I am glad you and your OH and your work all have generators. You remind me of myself when you describe how you can't remember from one year to the next how to turn it on - that is so me! Well, stay warm!
No fun! We were lucky not to lose power this time, but not sure our luck will hold out all winter! I have to say that I do like one good snowfall each year (as opposed to wallowing in mud) but I'm glad it doesn't usually stick around for too long. It would be a different story if our roads were taking care of better, but driving around here in the snow is just plain scary! I'm already prepared to put myself on "delay start" if need be. ;) Hope you have a good weekend! :)
Ah...hope your week gets better sweetie, luv you!
I hate when the power goes out! We had a big ice storm about 3 years ago and we were out of power without a generator for 3 days! It does get so boring, but at least my mom had power and our freezer food went over there. When you have lots of trees you loose power a lot. Have a good weekend and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Aunts Jean and Carmen can tell the stories of their everyday life growing up with an outdoor privy and of cleaning the kerosene lanterns. No power - no refrigeration. Like camping everyday! No power - no fun..
Oh I hear you....we've already had a very cold week. Today it was only 34 degrees but with the cold wind blowing...28. Needless to say I've cracked out the roper overalls. I had to turn out the horses this morning, clean six stalls and bring them in this evening before my husband got home....too dark to wait for him to help me. I'm chilled to the bone and can't seem to warm up. Not to mention that the horses have all seemed to turn into KING KONG! Boy they're feeling frisky in this cold air! Hope your weekend goes better!
Did you get your book finished Laura? I mean, Paint Girl! ;-)
Hopefully you won't lose power that long next time. I don't think it will snow much this weekend, it's not supposed to a major event. No "Winter Storm 2010" kind of thing! Hee!
PONY GIRL
gosh your photos sure show a lot of snow. I hope your winter isn't too cold and dreary. Down here in NZ we had a really wet winter that seemed to go for ever....now they are predicting a drought.
Just as well you like reading ....you will have to make sure you have a good library set up for the months ahead....and glad to hear the horses were all ok after that wind
Yep, that snow is here. It is snowing like crazy as I type:) My boys are thrilled but I just keep thinking of all the work at the barn that has to get done through all this white mess.
There has been snow in our area, but none here at home yet. Thank goodness. I am just not ready for it again.
Not having power is a bummer. That is a long time to be without!
Oh, it looks just what we have right now here in Finland! We had snowstorm at thursday and all the snow that we have now (about 40 cm) came down in that day. We are gonna have the white stuff lots and lots more during the winter...
Last winter was so terrible, coldest in 70 years. We had -35 celcius degrees and some days it was even colder. Really cold weather lasted for 7 weeks and we had snow 100cm.
I want to cry if this winter is going to be the same. I dont like cold, and I`m living in Finland, great...
Thank god we have two fireplaces in our house, so we have at least little bit warm if power goes off.
We've only had one extended power outage here and don't have a generator. I had to laugh when you were talking about forgetting how to do things if you don't do them regularly. I'm the same way! Use it or lose it, I guess.
WE only lost power for a short time but our cable, phone and internet were down so not much to do here either. Now the snow is coming down and we still have stalls to clean, yuck! Hope we don't lose power, no generators here. I have too many horses to afford such things.
woohoo! i'm all for a dreary winter!!!
and BTW, i practically live with a headlamp attached to my forehead. handy if you have to run outside in the middle of the night where you need to hold something besides a flashlight, and it's great for reading in bed too - we lose power in the winter too!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Ahh everyone keeps reminding me of this awful winter we are supposed to have. I am NOT looking forward to it. I'm glad your power came back on. I hate when it goes out. We really need to find someone to help us get firewood so we don't freeze if the power goes out. I wish my husband's back would get better.
Oh and I'm like you with the doing things you don't do often. I still have to read the directions every time I start of propane heater. And it takes me forever to get it going lol.
Post a Comment