Thursday, May 10, 2012

Good Ride Today


It is so nice to finally have something to pull my drag with. Back when my arena was compact dirt, I used my lawn mower to pull my drag. But now that I have sand in the arena/round pen, the lawn mower can't pull the drag through it. So now that we have the UTV, I finally was able to get the job done!!




It was very quick, took maybe 10 minutes. Once I am done with the round pen, we will turn it back into an arena and we have a little work to do with the tractor. We also have an idea on how to get the drag in and out of the arena (for storage purposes). I am pretty excited to finally be able to get this done!!




The finished product. Did I say how excited I was? Love it!!




I was so excited that I could not wait to ride! So I got my girl Brandy out and gave her a good lunge, she is super hot on the lunge line (normal for her) and hopped on. It felt great to be back in the saddle on my girl!! We basically just worked on some jogging and we did a little loping. She kept picking up the wrong lead going to the right, but that is normal, so we kept at it until she got it right. And she did not buck at the lope, which is NOT normal!! No bucking, that was a nice surprise!! I get so used to it, I pretty much expect it every time. And I only felt her knee buckle once or twice, which is good, but the true test will be trail riding. She has always been pretty sound in the arena. After a quick ride in the round pen, I took her for a trail ride around our property, up our second driveway, down the road a ways and back down our 1st driveway. She was a superstar! Considering that she has only been ridden once in the last 8 months. But I will not do too much hard riding with her, basically just light trail riding because of her arthritis. 

 

 It is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous this weekend, upper 70's to maybe 80 degrees. I have big plans. And I can't wait to share them with you, next week!!

15 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like two really good rides!

I love the sand in the round pen. That's what I need to do so that I can ride year round. Our ground gets so muddy and slick in the snow and rain.

cdncowgirl said...

I love that you can work the round pen with the UTV! I use our quad & a mini discer in the arena & barrel patch.
If it needs to be worked deeper I use the tractor & cultivator.

Looking forward to your next post :)

Cousin B said...

Your place looks wonderful! Love all the new equipment you're getting to play with these days. Ok, looking forward to next week!

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good, and a nice ride like that will make your day!

Jeni said...

Wooo! Any day you can throw a leg over the saddle is a good day in my book!

Your round pen looks so nice - it's inviting you to ride.

Reddunappy said...

Awesome! Isnt this weather a relief!!
I got Emma rode again last night. My daughter came out and we both rode!
But I didnt get any pictures.

Laura said...

THe round pen looks nice! The UTV looks really fun. I'd be looking for any excuse to drive it, lol!

Glad you had a good ride on Brandy. I hope the weather holds for you for a few days!

Can't wait to hear about your big plans!!!!! :-)

Crystal said...

Looks like nice sand in the round pen. ANd excellent news with Brandy, hope she stays sound so you can get more trail rides on her :)

Linda said...

Pretty sand! You really like cliff hangers, don't you? Can't wait to read about the big plans.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Great view in that last photo. Pretty round pen sand, too. Do you have a cup holder in that new toy of yours? :)

Looking forward to reading about your BIG PLANS!!!

~Lisa

Paint Girl said...

Lisa, yes there is a cup holder, actually 2 of them!! It's fun!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks great!

Ranch Girl Diaries said...

Can't wait to hear how the trail ride goes tomorrow! I hope you guys have a great time! xoxo

Tammy Vasa said...

Looks really nice. I want one of those UTV!

Maery Rose said...

Ah yes, I remember that fresh dragged feeling. Your ring looks awesome!