This amazing cops help was greatly appreciated!

Everything seemed to be going fine, until we hit the passes. M's truck's tranny gauge kept saying that her tranny was getting really hot. We almost get to the top of one of the passes, and the tranny gauge was way in the red. We pulled off the side of the road and waited for her tranny to cool down. So much for taking her truck in and getting it serviced. They even had gone throughout her whole tranny to make sure everything was good, and installed the tranny gauge. Plus her tranny was only a couple years old. We waited.......and waited........and waited. It seemed like forever.
Waiting on the side of the road for the tranny to cool down.

Once again we got back on the road. We trekked along and were hoping that there weren't too many more hills to go. We were already a couple hours behind the other truck and trailer. About two and a half hours to our destination, we hit an out of this world thunder and lightening storm, including severe rain and hail. We had to pull off the road because we couldn't see the road. It was unreal. Once we got out of the storm, we couldn't wait to get to the show grounds. We were tired, hungry and so done with this trip. The time changes to mountain time, so that put us arriving at 10:30 that night. We get out of the truck, and there were a couple guys there to help unload the hay, grain and wood. We unloaded the horses, made sure they had food and water and went to go find some food. We didn't get to bed until 1:30 in the morning.
On Monday, we had one horse showing in the morning, and the rest of the day we set up our groom rooms, dressing room, tack room, kitchen/bar, and all the curtains, tables, flower beds etc. We also had one horse showing that evening. I had forgotten my sunscreen at the hotel room, and boy, do I ever regret that! Within hours, my back and shoulders were so sun burnt! By the time we were able to get to the store to purchase some sunscreen, it was too late to do anything about it. I knew I would be hurting the next day. Monday was in the mid 70's. Perfect! By Thursday, my sun burnt back turned to blisters. I have never blistered before.
We were going to be having a light show schedule until Friday. So there was a lot of relaxing time. Which is nice. I haven't worked a show yet where there wasn't a hectic schedule. On Tuesday it was 95 degrees. Thank goodness for that light schedule! It was HOT, HOT, HOT!! But it was exactly what I was looking forward too, sun and heat! Wednesday and Thursday was in the mid 80's. Thursday and Friday evening around 6:00 p.m. both nights, the wind picked up and we had a rain shower for about 15 minutes. I have never seen the wind pick up so quickly. It was calm and quiet, then all of a sudden the wind just howled, dirt and shavings went flying everywhere and the rain just poured down. But before you even knew what was happening, it just stopped, the sun came back out and everyone went back to what they were doing.
Mikael over at Mikael Arabians wanted to know what the facility was like. This show was a regional show, and this was the first year it was held at this facility. There are pros and cons to this facility, as there are to most facilities. But I do have to say that there are probably more pros. First, the staff was WONDERFUL! I have never seen such helpful staff at any horse show. Those guys that helped us unload the hay, grain and wood at 10:30 at night? Yep, show staff. They were a lifesaver!! Throughout the show, the staff would bring us ice for the cooler, raked our barn aisles, watered the barn aisles, delivered coffee and donuts in the morning, and anything we needed, they would get. They even offered to help us set up on Monday, which is unheard of.
Second, the arena was a good size and the footing was wonderful. I did not hear any complaints about the footing at all.
Hunter gelding class. The bay horse on the left is our assistant trainer, M. She placed first in this class and third in the afternoon class on the same horse.

Third, there was plenty of room for lunging, as long as they didn't have cow classes going on.
Fourth, the hotel that we stayed in was right on the show grounds. Which worked out perfectly. Since M's truck had tranny problems on the way down, she took it to the dealer to have it checked out. We were able to walk to the hotel room after we were done showing, and walk to the barn in the morning. The hotel was really nice and I have no complaints whatsoever about it.
The cons for this facility are:
Unfortunately there were not a lot of permanent barns, so almost all stalls were portables. Under one tent, there was a warm up area with a couple rows of stalls, but in those stalls there was concrete flooring. There were a couple of other rows of stalls that were in a permanent structure, but they weren't as close to the show arena as the portables were. We ended up in the portables right across from the show arena. The downside to being in portables is that if the weather should turn ugly, in other words, rain, then everything gets soaking wet. Literally. There is no way to get out of the rain. The other downside is when it is extremely hot, like it was the whole week we were there, there is no way to get out of the sun. If only I had a picture of my sun burn, then it would all make sense!
Here is our aisle of portables at 7:30 in the morning. Around 8:00 a.m., the aisle is pure sun, all day!

Besides the portables being a downfall, the other downfall would be that if it did rain, then that would severely limit lunging. The one covered warm up was usually too crowded to try to lunge, so lunging had to be done in the cow arena, or the round pen, which was outside. I would not want to be at this facility if it was going to rain all week.
The only other downfall of this facility, is the drive. 10 hours might not be that long to drive, but it becomes long when hauling horses and when every one is used to a lot shorter drive for this regional show.
All in all, I was impressed with the facility, and the people. They served food for the patrons, we had spaghetti and meatballs, ceasar salad and bread one night and taco salads another night.
Our farms clients are absolutely wonderful! I do not know what I would do without them. They brought me lunch everyday, and sometimes dinner. They were so concerned that I wasn't eating and would go out of their way to make sure I was fed.
We have one client that didn't have a good year showing last year, but there has been so much improvement this year. (This is not the older woman I mentioned in my last show post.) She got a Top 5 in her English Country Pleasure class, out of 14 horses. She was so excited! A lot of people don't get happy about Top 5's, they want Grand or Reserve. But Top 5 was such an improvement over the last year, that she was on cloud nine! Plus there were a lot of really nice horses in that class! Most of our horses did really well. A couple clients had a tough show, but they are young girls and it will come together for them.
I headed home on Saturday. The halter trainer and I hauled the five halter horses home. It was a beautiful day for a drive.

In case your wondering about the assistant trainers truck, her tranny was toast. Which meant she wasn't going to be able to drive it back home, not unless she wanted to risk breaking down somewhere. She has had some problems with the transmission since it was installed, and she decided to just buy a new truck. She's been wanting to do that for over a year now. This is what she ended up getting.

She really wanted me to drive home on Sunday with her, but I just wanted to get home on Saturday so I could have a day with my OH!
We have another regional show next week, and I don't know yet if I will be working at it. I am sure I will be. So I will be around for a few days, then most likely won't be around for another week. I will keep you all updated and will let you know what I have been doing on my two days off!


24 comments:
You're a busy, busy gal! Barely enough time to smooch your ponies in between show adventures.
Don't forget your sunscreen on the next trip!
Wow - that's hard work! Two words: roll-on/roll-off gadget for tire changing - I'm with you on how important it is to have one of these in your trailer. Second - US Rider roadside assistance - it's not that expensive and it sure can come in handy with trucks/trailers. Hope the sunburn clears up OK!
Sad about the tranny--did she say how much it would be to fix it? My daughter's appears to be going out in her Honda and I hate to think of getting a new one for her!! :( That arena looks awesome--you're probably getting a lot of ideas about what you'd like for yourself someday.
hope your back is ok...ouch! your job makes me tired just reading about it!! interesting show pics. glad you had a safe trip!
Linda~ The dealership told her it would cost around $7,000 to fix the tranny, including other things that needed repair on her truck. She drove a 2001 Ford 350. The dealer was only going to give her $3000 for a trade in with the tranny in the condition it was in. She explored many options while at the show, and buying a new truck was the best option for her.
The arena was nice, big and great footing! I would love to have an arena like that someday!
Awesome trip. So good you had helpful show staff!
Boy what an eventful experience...before, during....and then you were able to go home. whew!
Thank goodness the folks were so nice and helpful and they noticed you weren't finding the time to eat. Too bad about the sunburn, though. Sounds terribly painful. Did you get a fever from it, too? That's when you know it is really bad. I've had sunburns so bad that I had headaches, fevers, and blisters, too. Not good!
Don't forget the sunscreen next time, ok?
Our rain storms sound just like what you experience. In fact we've been having these kind of storms all week. Every afternoon the wind picks up, the sky gets dark and the rain pours down. The other day we also had hail, too!
~Lisa
sounds like a hectic time. Glad you made the trip there and back ok. Love the new truck. Found you blog a couple of weeks ago ....enjoyed reading about your adventures
It sounds like overall, this was a nice show for you! That sun burn sounds awful, though. I know exactly how that feels, I am very fair skinned with freckles, so I can burn BAD. I guess you'll never forget sunscreen after that, I hope you're burn is all healed now :).
I am lovin' M's new truck, I hope she got back all safe and sound!
Welcome back - I hope you get lotsa' of time in the saddle before your next big outing!!
Ouch! The sunburn & the tranny!
Wow - another wild week at a horse show for you... Too bad about the sunburn - not fun at all.
I'm happy to hear that clients (and show staff!!!) were brining you guys food - that shows that people are thinking about others - I like that.
:-)
Busy and exciting ! Nice that the police officer helped change the tire. Next time (if there is a next time ) you get sunburn , grab some plain old white vinigar and put it on the burn , it takes the sting out and you won't blister, also take an aspirin if you can take them . Both work as antiinflamatory and stop the burn from getting worse .Yo will smell like a pickle but you won't blister and peel
Hey fellow cowgirl - there is a cream you can get from the doctor. Just give them a call and tell them your burn blistered. It will work wonders! I didn't even have to go in, they just sent over a prescription for me.
Sorry about your freinds truck, that sucks!
Busy girl you are! Sounds like lots of fun, but what a haul!! Hope you're enjoying your days at home & take care of that back! :)
Wow! What a crazy few days! That drive out there sounds just too stressful. I cannot imagine pulling a 5 or 6 horse trailer!!! Glad she got a new truck.
I hope your sunburn heals quickly! You sure work hard and have serious driving adventures!
That was some adventure you had. So sorry about M's tranny problems but very glad she got a new truck. I'm in the midst of tranny problems on my 1994 Ford. I've had to sit and wait for the tranny to cool too. It's so stressful.
Sunscreen...never leave home without it. :-)
Fern Valley~ A client of ours told me about using white vinegar. Although I could not go around smelling like a pickle, so I opted to deal with the hurting and peeling. I have a weird thing about smells, and if I used the vinegar, I would have probably gagged all day!! LOL!
Dang girl! You'd better not forget sunscreen again! You are so fair skinned, I can't imagine how bad you must be hurting! I'm glad overall the trip was a good one!
You are so busy! All your work puts me to shame when I go to work and sit in meetings and doodle in my notebook through all of them. That barn you work for is so lucky to have you! I love this post with all the pictures of the facility. Your blog is always so darn interesting. Did that cop see you snapping his picture? it's nice when cops do good things rather than harass people! he looked like a nice cop. The older I get, the more cops seems like kids! reek! That is a sign I am getting to be an old lady! I cannot wait for you to finally get time to spend with your own horses! that will be so special to you and to them!! I hope as you read this note you are kicking back with an ice cold beer (or a nice salty margarita) and are reeeeeelaxing! I also hope your sunburn is better!
Good Grief! What an adventure! Awesome that the Police Officer was such a nice dude!
Sounds like you had a great time, despite the tire trouble....
And at least you were able to see the sun, right? Which is better than what we have over here right now....grrrrrr....
How are your lovely ponies doing?
When you started off with the vehicle issues I was hoping nothing catastrophic happened. After my trip from hell to nationals, I am tend to think the worst. Sounds like you made if safely, that's good. Kudos to the trooper for being so helpful.
Thanks for the info on the facility. I'm with you about the staff at that show. They have always been wonderful. That's why I prefer to show in that region. I am worried about the heat though, having had sunstroke, I'm very vulnerable to heat. Still don't know if I will show at this facility or not. Guess we'll see what life brings.
I have friends who are clents at your barn, a mother and daughter who both show. They are really nice people. I always look forward to seeing them at shows.
I'm going to try to come up for a visit at this next show. Don't know what day yet but I have to have my regional fix since I'm not showing this year.
Ah well its annoying that you had so many vehicle problems, but at least you had helpful people en-route, and you actually made it to the show grounds!!
Kerrin Koetsier
Parelli Central
Post a Comment