It has been a week now since Fritzy's first emergency visit from the vet. For 3 days we did Furazone sweats, cold hosing and Bute. The weather was awful as usual and it rained so hard. Fritzy had to be moved out of her outdoor stall, but to where? We didn't have anywhere dry to put her. The ground here is literally saturated in water and it has been so wet this year that the inside of their shed was total mud. This is the first time that their shed has been muddy inside. There is so much water and no where for it to go. Chance's shed was dry, but her pasture has at least a foot deep in mud as well. I could not put another animal back into Brandy and Fritzy's pasture in order to use Chance's dry shed. I had no options. My friend at work, M, suggested that we could move my sister's horse to her house. She has 5 acres and 2 horses and she didn't mind taking care of him, actually he used to be her horse when my sister started leasing him, before she bought him. I talked to my OH about moving my sis's boy to M's house, and that we had to get Fritzy out of the outdoor stall. It was now mud and she was standing in mud again. In order for a quick and full recovery for Fritzy, we had to move my sister's horse, there just wasn't any other way. I hated doing that, but I needed the boy's pasture. It is the only pasture on our property that has plenty of dry area's for Brandy and the goats to get out of the mud, and I could turn the 12 x 16 shed into a stall for Fritzy.
My friend M was going to pick up my sis's boy on Thursday evening. That would give my OH and I plenty of time to get Fritzy's new stall prepared for her. Then my friend called to say she wasn't going to make it to pick up the boy that night. I was in a panic. I needed that stall for Fritzy, and the pasture for Brandy and the goats. I had to get Fritzy out of the mud. My OH was working late and I didn't know if we could get the stall prepared and get my sis's boy moved to M's before dark. Earlier I had gone and bought 10 bags of shavings, so when my OH got home we dumped 7 bags in to start. We hustled our butts off and started stall preparations. We brought in a muck bucket for her water, hooked up her grain bucket and put one of our 12 foot arena panels up for the gate. It was pouring rain and very cold. I haltered Fritzy and led her to her new stall. Fritzy was in horse heaven! It was dry and bedded deep in shavings. She rolled a few times. I had to re-wrap her legs in standing wraps and then we went to hook up the horse trailer. My sister had arrived in time to go catch her boy and load him up. It was getting dark and we were hoping to get to M's house before total darkness set in.
As we were driving to M's, it rained even harder. The rain just wasn't going to let up anytime soon. Once we got to M's, we unloaded my sis's boy and put him in her round pen. Then it started hailing. It was hailing so hard. I have never been so angry at the weather before. I mean, this is the middle of April, and it was hailing? Then we unloaded her hay and my OH and I had to get home. It was now dark.
Fritzy was walking much better on Friday. And the swelling had gone down a lot in 3 of her legs. The right front was still a little swollen, but that one was the worst. I had been continuing with dry standing wraps on all 4's per my vet's instruction. My vet came out on Saturday morning to take her wraps off and check her legs. She called me at work and told me how happy she was with how Fritzy's legs looked. She praised me up and down, saying what a wonderful job I had done with Fritzy. She said that it makes such a huge difference when you have someone that is very knowledgeable about horses. Plus it helped save me money by knowing how to do standing wraps, and not having the vet come out every day to change wraps. She said she left the standing wraps off, and I was to check her legs that evening. If they started to swell, then I was to wrap all her legs again. But if not, then she could go without wraps. She was to still continue her stall rest until Monday, when she could possibly be turned out again. She didn't want to rush anything, and have Fritzy get turned out too soon. Even though there are a lot of areas that Fritzy can get out of the mud, we need to keep her legs dry and mud free for now.
I might just keep her in her stall and hand walk her for a few more days. I don't want to have a relapse. She is on the mend, and I can tell she is feeling better. She is back to her dominant, bitchy self! I am so happy that the outcome did not go the wrong way. With these kind of things, you just never know how they will turn out.
And guess what? It is still raining....... all I ask is for is an end in sight to the rain....please!
Monday, April 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


18 comments:
Hoping for better weather for you, and for us all. Glad Fritzy is progressing and that you were able to make alternate arrangements. Sending best wishes and thoughts.
I have no clue how to do standing wraps. Guess that's something I better ask my friends to teach me.
It hailed here today. I'm so sick of this too.
Glad to hear that Fritzi is doing better.
Glad to here she is getting better. It hasn't rained here in our area for a long while and no rain is in the forecast. Would take alittle of your weather if I could.
Wow we are full o f mud too, and snow. Grrr I am angry at the weather too.
But glad you found a dry spot for her and her legs are getting better.
I feel so bad for poor Fritzy and for you - it must be miserable to know your ponies cant get away from standing in mud. You should check Jac's FaceBook entry today to see a pic of our corral on Sunday. The only mud is where my hubby dumped the water trough to clean it. And we had rain the day before. I hope you and your ponies see nicer weather very soon.
Oh I'm so glad to hear that Fritzy is doing better! That must have been awful for everyone involved. But you know horses, they absolutely MUST fall ill during weekends, holidays, or natural disasters! Lol.
I'm sure glad she's doing better. When the medic unwrapped my cast I got to keep all the bandages, nice ones, that they were just going to throw away.
I'm so happy to hear that Fritzy is doing better...it's a good thing you were able to get her to a dry place :). I sure hope your (and my) weather clears soon. In Michigan it will be 60 one day and we'll have a blizzard the next morning...and we've had lots of rain, rain, rain, hail, rain and snow! UGH!!! :(
Great news!! Glad your beautiful girl is on the mend!!
Praying your rain heads our way- we're on the verge of another drought here on the coast.
I am so glad Fritzy is doing well. I feel for you and this weather. Our rain is never ending and I KNOW it is nothing like yours. We have little solid ground - it is all mud and muck. Glad you got Fritzy into a dry spot.
Glad to hear Fritzy is doing better, and that you were able to get her out of the wet weather. hope the sun comes out soon!
So sorry to hear about this! Glad Fritzy is on the mend though. You rock! :) I hear ya on the darn rain though. Man, everything is just so soggy! Ick! I'm over it! I want some sunshine! I wouldn't even mind a little wind if it helps dry things out! I swear Mother Nature has just been screwing with me lately. If I need to be outside it's just nasty out. If I try to sneak a ride in, no matter how nice it was when I put my boots on, by the time I get in the saddle, it's raining. It's getting a bit ridiculous! C'mon summer!!! It's currently trying to be sunny here. I'll see what I can do about sending it your way next! ;)
Glad Fritzy is sdoing so well. She is a lucky horse to have such a caring and concietious owner!will "my Boy " be coming back to you when things are better?
Glad to hear your girl is on the mend :)
We're having a crappy spring here too, temps colder than normal and grey. :(
Glad she's doing better! This has definitely been a cold and wet spring. I hate it!! Luckily, we don't have the rain that you do over there, but nonetheless--it has been wet, windy and cold. It even snowed yesterday--then sunshine today! Go figure.
Holy moly! I know you all are used to rain up in your neck of the woods, but this isn't normal weather for you, right?
I think Global Warming is really wrecking the normal weather patterns of the planet. Everyone thinks it just about getting warm temps, but that's not the total story.
Anyway, we are used to having lots of snow during the winter and at least a few rainfalls throughout the year. But we've only had two snowfalls all winter and no rain since last August! That's just not normal and actually quite dangerous for us, too.
And there you guys are with non-stop rain, hail and moisture.
Why does it have to be everything or nothing?
I'm glad to read that Fritzy's on the mend. You've done a good job with her. :)
~Lisa
I'm sick of the rain too, but thankfully it hasn't been as bad here as it is for you. I hope the weather clears up for you. It must be so miserable there right now.
I'm glad Fritzy is feeling better. :)
Post a Comment