Oh goodness.....what were we thinking? The painting project has gone well, but after 7 days straight of painting, we had to take a break this week and get other projects done. Like get hay......
Our local feed store has the best local hay from their own fields and we get it cheaper by going and picking it up straight out of the field. We brought home 70 bales. And yes, that is Bailey up there doing what he loves best.....being the King of the hay stack! That dog would live in a barn if we had one. Bailey is almost healed up. He has some scabs that haven't come off yet and his hair is growing back. Yeah to no more baboon butt!
Back to the home remodel. We have finished painting the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway. Since we are replacing the flooring it has made it easier to paint. We do not have to cover up any of the flooring, so we don't care if the paint ends up there.
In the picture below is when we first started painting the kitchen. The wall on the left is the new paint and you can see the old paint on the wall in the back. The ceiling has not been done by the lights, but you can see to the right where my OH had started the first coat.
You can see the lovely vinyl flooring we have. Our house was built in 1988 and everything from the paint to the flooring is original to the year the house was built (in exception to the guest bath and master bath, they were remodeled 3 years ago.) We have not been able to remodel before this due to financial reasons.
The door on the left is the laundry/mud room. It also has a 1/2 bath, pantry, utility sink and that room goes into the garage. Our plans are to have slate tile installed starting from that room and then going into the kitchen, dining room, in front of the wood stove into the front entry way. It will be 16 x 16 tiles on the diagonal (which will make the house look bigger than it is.) We already have the slate picked out, and it is in the neutral tones in different colors. Slate is a natural stone and very hardy. We were going to do hardwood floors, but it was not in our financial means (I will not put the "fake" hardwood in my house, I am very picky with what I want.) The countertops in the kitchen were going to be granite, but when we went to pick out the countertops we fell in love with Quartz. It looks just like granite, but Quartz is a man made material and a lot hardier then granite. You don't have to worry about spills and scratches. Plus maintenance is super simple. The cabinets will stay the same. They are in excellent condition, and even though I am not a huge fan of oak, they are something I can live with. We did change out the cabinet hardware already to update the look. There used to be white hardware, and it just looked outdated. Our appliances are black and are still in excellent condition. They were brand new when we bought the house, except for the stove, and have no plans at this time to replace them. Down the road we will switch to stainless steel when they need replacing. The sink will be replaced with an under mount sink. My dad will be doing the back splash in the kitchen and it will also be slate tile, and it will go from the counter all the way up to the bottom of the cabinets.
The dining room has carpet, blue berber. I mean, really, who puts blue carpet in a house? I hate carpet in a dining room. This will be slate tile. As you can see, my living room was moved into my dining room for painting. Isn't it fun to live in such a mess?
Here's my front entry way. The slate will stop at the hall way. The carpet in the hall is plush blue carpet. It is being replaced with a very neutral colored carpet that will also go into the bedrooms.
The living room will stay carpet, the same neutral carpet that is going in the hall and bedrooms. That is my new accent wall! It is called Safari Beige. And the other color we used is called Oatbran.
All of the light fixtures will be changed out. Everything is getting updated to look like 2011.
Oh look! My dining room is almost back to normal!
This area in front of the back door, behind the couch, in front of the wood stove and to the front entry is going to be slate. From the back of the couch to the left will be carpet.
To top things off, the windows had "blue" blinds and I ripped them out as quick as I could. Blue was the theme of the house. My OH's stepdad built this house and he was single at the time. He must have really liked blue. Guess what? We aren't doing any blue! I am so done with blue!
We still have the laundry room and bedrooms to paint but those will be so much easier! The living room/kitchen have vaulted ceilings and made it very difficult. I already have my master bedroom color picked out. All I have to do is decide on color for the office and guest bedroom. We got our estimate on flooring and WOW! Way more then what we were planning on spending. But the floor covering store is trying to get the price down for us. So we are aiming for a September install. Gives us plenty of time to finish painting! Woo Hoo!
I can't leave without leaving a bit of cute...................................
Little miss Madison is absolutely perfect! She is the biggest lover and evil kitty all rolled up into a black and white tuxedo, and nothing could be better! I just love her!!!!


15 comments:
My Dad was a floor covering installer, along with wood floors, tile floors, vinyl floors, LOL you name it he did it!
Mom and Dad opened a retail store when I was 13 years old, selling carpet and vinyl and tile, etc. I grew up around it and working there was my first job. They finally closed the store after almost 30 years in business, a couple years ago, they are now retired.
I have never liked laminate floors either! They are just wrong, they sound wrong and feel wrong! Sounds like quite the project you have planned!!! Cant wait to see it done!
Can't wait to see the finished rooms, I like your paint colors and it sounds like everything is going to look super!! Love you, see you wed. auntie
Your colors look really nice. Can't wait to see the finished project.
i thought you were just painting! wow, you're doing a lot there. thanks so much for the house tour, please keep coming with progress photos! i just love this kind of stuff.
i wonder what the slate looks like, i guess i'll have to be patient.
i was hoping you'd say you'd replace the light fixtures, whew! that will make a big difference i think.
now that i have a job i feel very much like you. i'm gone 10 hours monday through friday but i'm too tired after work to do the things i should do around here, so it all waits till the weekend, when i exhaust myself with everything else! i love it though. so thankful to be working. and with the extra money, we have a huge list of remodeling projects.
first thing we did was get a natural gas line installed and we will be getting a new furnace put in - that will end up costing 13,000 Euros. can you believe that? ugh. but i want that propane tank off our land! and our furnace is kaputt.
it's great to finally have the means to get started on these big projects.
i'll try to be patient for your next installment!
Wow you guys have been really busy. The new paint colours look great and like everyone else I cant wait to see the finished look. Your hay looks really nice - good quality!!!. I do the same and get it straight off the field as well. I was also impressed with your wine rack with wine in it. I cant seem to get mine to stay full!
Holy wow - Lots of work, bet you are already happier with it.
And BLUE? I agree - ugh!
It's looking GREAT. I don't blame you for getting rid of blue. I had to get rid of some in my current house, too. I have no idea why they used that color. :/
First of all, you have a lovely home! whatever the colors .So nice and oppen!!! And with the changes you are making,it is going to be just stunning!
I admire your ambition, but I'm still not inspired to do all the stuff that needs to be done around here. We've lived here 11 years and, yeah, it's time.
So cute!! I love your new kitty. Good to see the paint colors, love the neutrals, it will go with everything, you could add barn red accents, tourqoise blue, etc!
Hope your flooring costs get sorted out (I thought it was countertops that bid out high but I was wrong.) Can't wait to see the Quartz!!
xo
Love your colors!
I'll match your blue theme...and make it even more impossible to live with...the first house MH bought out here was done entirely in 'seafoam green'...the walls, ceilings, trim, carpet, linolium...it was all seafoam green. (gag)...and of very cheap quality I might add. I was never so glad to get a house re-painted in my life.
Awwww-Madison is too cute in that picture.
How fun, I kinda like blue, but not a whole house full thats for sure! I can see why you would be sick of it.
Sure is looking good, will be nice to have it all updated.
I'm so happy for you that your financial situation has improved so that you are able to freshen up your home and decorate it just the way you want to. That makes all the difference, doesn't it?
You will feel like you're in a new home when it's all done.
Love Madison's little freckled foot pads. :)
~Lisa
I know how a house reno can go! We have just finished (in the last few months anyway) with much of our walls (new paint) and floors (sanded to original wood). It can be so GRUELING. After a MONTH of it, I was so ready to have my house back! But then, it is like having a NEW HOUSE. Yours looks so great. I LOVE the pictures of the reno. I also love your vaulted celinings and all the open space. It is going to look sooooooooo great when you are done. You will qualify to be in Martha Stewart magazine!!!!!!!! And that cat? I want to steal her!
So many people I know are doing remodeling this year and yes, it does make day to day living a challenge. The first thing I did when I moved into my house was rip out the wood laminate flooring and replace with real wood, which for me was cheaper than putting in tile floors. Now I want to rip out the remaining carpeting in my bedroom and office and Gasp! put in vinyl flooring. This is because I can't afford more wood or tile, carpeting just doesn't work with my animals and I don't like carpeting anyway, so I'm thinking some funky pattern of vinyl that someone can cover with carpeting whenever I sell the place. I am also going to do some hardware and lighting updates. I can't wait to see how your place turns out!
Post a Comment