So why did the things not go so smoothly? I was ahead of the game. I brought my horses out at 1:00, which would give me plenty of time to get them cleaned up before my 2:00 appointment. At 2:15 my farrier still wasn't here, so I decided to go in and check messages. He had called and left me a message an hour earlier saying he was running way behind and that he wouldn't be here until around 2:45 or 3. So I went back out and clipped my horses. My farrier pulled in around 2:30. I decided to have Fritzy's shoes pulled for the next couple months. I used to have them pulled in the winter, then in the spring I would have shoes put back on. But after Fritzy's hoof abcess a year and a half ago, I started leaving shoes on year round. Fritzy has very flat feet, and very weak soles, and if ridden barefoot, can barely tolerate it. Since we deal with mud from October through May, and when I say mud, I mean a lot of mud, and a lot of rain, I don't get to do much riding this time of year. So I decided to just have her go barefoot again this winter.
As my farrier was trimming Fritzy's hooves, he told me that my horses were starting to get mud fever. Now I have heard of mud fever, but have never had a horse get mud fever. So my farrier explained what I needed to do. Even though my horses have a dry area to get out of the wet and mud, what is happening is that the long hair on their legs is holding onto all that moisture and mud, so even when they are in their dry shelter, their legs can't dry out. That is when their heels get inflamed and swollen, and infection can set in. We were not to the infection point yet. So my farrier said I needed to rinse all the mud off their legs, dry them off really well, then clip all the hair down to the skin. Once I get to the skin, I put on a Betadine solution. I need to keep their leg hair trimmed during the rest of muddy season, and keep treating with Betadine. He said if I can get the process started NOW then it shouldn't get any worse. Think preventative.
This is what all the pasture's look like. Nothing but pure mud. This is one reason why I want to move to Arizona, or anywhere sunny and warm!! I am so tired of dealing with the wet and mud!

So after my farrier left, I brought the hose out, hosed Brandy's legs off really well, dried them off with a towel over and over, then brought out the clippers. I clipped her legs all the way up above her fetlocks, then blended the hair above that. I put the Betadine on, and she is good to go until it's time for more Betadine. I ran out of daylight to do Fritzy's legs. So I will have to clip and treat her legs on Saturday. Another downfall to not having an actual barn and lights, once I lose daylight, I can't do anything.
You can see the mudline on Fritzy's legs. This is how deep the mud is. We have had record breaking rain this month and I don't see it stopping anytime soon!

You know, in all my years of owning horses, I have never dealt with mud fever. I should consider myself lucky. I guess this is one way horse owners learn, by experiencing it themselves.
The Painted Creek is back in full force. It has been running at an all time high this month. I hope to see some drier weather in my future.

Look who is actually using his shed? My sis's boy doesn't typically go in there, except at night to sleep. But he stood in there for hours today!

Fritzy was being so patient today while waiting for the farrier, and while I was treating Brandy's legs. I couldn't believe it! She is the the most impatient horse I have ever dealt with, and she decided to bring her angel side out today! Thank you Fritzy!

I did get to do some work with Chance on Sunday. I was hoping to on Monday as well, but with the whole mud fever ordeal, I didn't have time. My OH and my sister came up and watched and helped me. We worked on tying and picking up legs. She is doing very well with her fronts. She is getting better about her hinds, I think after this next week she should be pretty good. I am going to take advantage of my few days off this week to spend some quality time with Chance.

We put a couple bags of fresh shavings in her shelter. Of course I thought it would be a good training opportunity. So I told my OH to hold out the bag to her, and then I had him wave it around. She did pretty good! She did spin around and trot off a couple times, but she would stop, turn around and come right back to my OH and the bag.

I couldn't get any good pictures of Chance. It was just nasty outside, and I also couldn't figure out why almost all my pictures were turning out blurry. I figured out the problem today, after I noticed all the pictures I was taking were turning blurry also. It looks like it was on some weird flash setting. I don't typically use flash during the daytime. No wonder! I think I have it all figured out now. Hopefully. If not, I will have to call my camera expert sister and have her help me with it!

I think that is about it with the updates. I am still working my butt off, but it sure was nice to get 2 days off this week!


32 comments:
Mud sucks! Here's wishing you sunny days and dry paddocks.
Oh my, you poor thing... I can't believe all that mud and I really couldn't believe the mudline on Fritzy's legs! Wow. And I thought we had it bad with the mud. It doesn't even compare to yours. Not that you wanted to have more mud than me, I'm sure. LOL
Wishing you and yours a very warm and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! :)
That's way tooooo much mud. Hope all the work you are doing keeps the mud fever under control. I don't know much about horses but it looks like a lot of work and you are doing a great job of keeping and trying to keep up with it.
Glad you're going to get some time off.
Ernie & Sasha's Mom
When mud fever is an issue think clipped legs and MTG. My friend just rescued a dog from a horrible situation (will blog about later) and the MTG is making a world of a difference for this canine.
In other words, my verification is crackho. What the heck!? These words keep getting weirder I tell ya.
Good catch by your farrier! I don't envy you the mud , we get it but nos so bad till spring and for far less time.Chance is looking good , what a little sweetie
I comiserate with you on the mud! Geez I cant wait for a dry spell for awhile! Our horses here in the NW have to grow flippers LOL, my mud is just like that too, but they have a couple acres of pasture they can get out of it and graze. I need to clean mine up and clip the hair too, I am sure mine may have some too.
I'm assuming you found the betadine that I used for My Boy's wounds earlier this fall? I will have to try that on his legs, too. I was thinking when I was cleaning the mud off of them for the farrier a couple of weeks ago, the fetlocks were getting long. Say, didn't your mares have pink heels/mud fever a bit last year? I remember spraying iodine on them.
I thought Chance did so well yesterday, responding to the pressure from tying, and, with the leg handling. I was laughing when she almost layed down a few times, silly baby! Did your farrier give you a time frame for clipping her? I'm glad you had Fritz's shoes pulled, I thought about that w/My Boy, too.
Chance is looking great! Her mane and tail are so long! I'm envious.
She looks like she is really black in those photos. Does she have any winter coat? My Yalla is such a fuzzball!!
Fantastyk Voyager~ Chance was really wet in these pictures, so you can't see any of the red in her coat or mane and tail, plus with the camera issues I was having, it makes her look black. She is a fuzzball, but not quite as much as my other horses!
Never heard of mud fever. Don't you just hate it that they have to be in that muck. Love the picture of Fritzi's eye. You should get a copy and frame it. Chance is getting bigger. Such a cutie!
So with all your mudd...I had a rdie last week that was so dusty I could hardly see the 20 horses in front of me!!! So sorry to see that you are back in the famous PNW weather!
I can really sympathize with the mud. I'm lucky to have several places to put the horses during breakup. Where they are now is only a horse lot when the ground is frozen.
You might consider making a raised place around their sheds with a fabric layer then some fill and topped with 3/4 minus. It would get them a place to stand out of the mud.
Chance is looking good!
We get terrible mud here as well - I've had good luck with Listerine as a antiseptic and it's less irritating than Betadine (and cheaper!) It seems for some reason to particularly affect horses with white feet. If there are sore places and scabs, I leave them alone and apply some Novalsan. Good luck!
Ah, what a pain. Just what you needed -- one more thing to do. I'm the only one in my company who lives on a "farm" and owns animals, so I have a hard time explaining to them that I need time to take care of problems caused by Mother Nature. They are just like, "Hey! If it snows, go skiing. If the sun is out, go sailing. If it rains, dance in the rain. Big winds? Fly a kite."
Wow! I guess we all have our climate demons to deal with at one point or another, but that mud is something crazy. I've never even heard of mud fever! Guess that's a good thing. I'm glad you got some time off to enjoy your gang and take some photos.
Um, could you send some of that rain our way? Not all of it, just a little. We would appreciate it very much. Thank you.
paint girl! first, i love that painted creek! it is really flowing! so beautiful. second, i know nothing about mud fever, but we are so wet and soggy obver here that I happened to think maybe I ought to trim all those long furry pieces off of Lilly's ankle area so she can dry out. honestly i have thought about doing that before, but i was worried that it would make Lilly's feet feel cold! am I the silliest horse owner in the world?
ummm....(!)
If I could figure out how to bottle some of this Florida sunshine, I'd send it to ya' in an instant!
Sucks about the rain and the mud. Grrrr....I know how you feel.
Paint Girl - I never heard of mud fever before - like Michelle - I am glad - that is a good thing that I never heard of it. I feel so bad for you guys. We ususally have drought all summer and this year we had rain so I do know mud - just not YOUR kind of mud! Now, our fall is nice. I can totally understand you wanting to move somewhere sunny and dry. It is a shame for your sweetie pies. You will help them though and the rains will stop and then you will have a superbly mild winter and we will be 3 feet under snow!!!
Well, I never cease to keep learning things on these blogs! Chalk another one up! Sorry to hear about it, hope it gets better and not worse. Chance is lookiing great! Happy Thanksgiving!
Wow that is alot of mud! Hope you get some dry weather soon. It is dry as a bone here. It has only rained about 2" in the past 6 months.
I always keep my horses legs clipped. It is much easier to keep them clean.
Aww man, bummer about the mud! I hope the mud fever doesn't get worse, glad you caught it early! Chance is soo cute =) Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
I'm so sorry to hear about the mud fever ordeal - I sympathize since we get a lot of mud and rain here too. Have you thought about using the clicker with Chance to help her with her back feet? I tried it with Siete and it worked pretty well. Also, when she was young, she sometimes had trouble balancing when I picked up her back feet too high. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
Well, I live in AZ and pretty girl, I hate to tell you but our pasture looks like that too. I guess if you lived more towards the desert it would be more dry. Come summer time you can hardly ride, bc then it is too hot! gah what to do? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Wow! And here I've always been envious of you folks up in the PNW for the lush green grass all summer for your ponies to eat. We only got 3 good rains all year and we missed our monsoons, so we had zip grass growth this year. So, we can only feed hay and have no grazing for them at all.
But I think I'd rather have dry, grassless pastures than all that mud! gah!
I'd never heard of mud fever before. Poor horses. We only get a little bit of mud after it rains or the snow melts, but it's gone in a day or so. The ground just sucks it all up fast.
I've never shod my mare. She has feet so tough from walking on a steep, rocky hilly pasture. The soles of her feet feel like the boulders she walks on, and I only have to have her trimmed once every 6-9 weeks. Without the rain and moisture, horses' hooves just grow so slowly here.
I sure hope you dry out soon...and make plans to move to the desert southwest, too. All that mud and rain would make me depressed and frustrated.
I'm glad the farrier appt went well. Chance sure has darkened up. She gets prettier and prettier!
Even with the mud and rain, you have so much to be thankful for my friend.
I hope you enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, friends and four-legged loved ones, too.
~Lisa
I can relate.. the mud is driving me crazy!
We meant to bring in a truckload of hogfuel, as it does help. It does not sink into the mud, it sits on top of it.
No..we did not do it, and now it may be to late!
For the last month ours were that nasty and muddy and nasty! I felt so bad for my two fillies that were so covered with mud. I am glad that Chance is doing so well!!
so sorry about all of that awful mud. am so thankful we live in wv. i have heard that cider vinegar is good for fungus and safe for the horses...blue got some weird skin issues and it worked like a charm...pink heels like your sis mentioned...i initially thought he was sunburned! live and learn!
Here we call it scratches. The Oldenburg I once had got it bad with scabs and the whole nine yards. It's terribly painful especially when you have to wash it, scrape off the scabs, put medicine on it and wrap it and do that every day! I had to Bute him too. After the first treatment he didn't want me to touch him and tried to kick me, which he'd NEVER done before. Not something I ever want to deal with again.
YUCK! That's a lot of mud, and it's still only November. I never heard of mud fever. I'll have to look that up.
(I'm playing catch up again...I'm a week behind on reading LOL)
Dang girl I cannot believe all of that mud you have!!! We have a lot as well but nothing like that!! I had not heard of "Mud Fever" before..Very interesting! I can see how it happens though after seeing Fritzy's feet!
I am glad that at least the rain has brought the creek back!! It's so serene and pretty!!
ps~ Chance is looking great by the way!! Such a beautiful baby!!
Post a Comment