Friday, July 24, 2009

River Aussie's!

Last weekend was a hot one. Since we haven't taken the crazy Aussie's to the river yet this year, we figured we better get them down for some playing and swimming, and to also check the river out. We loaded them up in the truck and drove the few minutes to our private river access. We have to keep them on leashes, well, Bailey has to be kept on a leash, if he was loose we probably would never see him again. He'd want to go to the woods to stiff and play. Sadie, with her insecurity issues, won't leave our sides, but I kept her on a leash for awhile. We wanted to check out how the river had changed, it changes every year. Fishing season is coming up on us fast, we have really good fishing in September and we are planning on doing a lot of it! The dogs were very excited that they got to go on this journey with us.



When we first moved here 8 years ago, this log jam only had around 20 logs. It now has thousands. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. In the winter, this log jam is under water. You can't even get to the river during that time of year.



The dogs see the water, they are so excited! They couldn't wait to drag us in that direction. I don't blame them, I wanted to get in the water too!



They finally get us to the water.




They insisted on walking in the water, while we walked on the rocks, which are hard to walk on, especially with flip flops on!



We notice some changes to our beach right away. There is now an island that we wanted to take the dogs too. We braved thigh high water to walk across, the dogs did not want to swim. But we made them. Even though Sadie is a water dog, she likes to just get her legs and face wet, but when it comes to having to actually swim, she said no way! Bailey was even worse. Once they figured out that they could swim, they followed along behind us. We make it to the island. My OH is checking out some new fishing spots.



We think this hole is going to have some really good fishing! Across the water is a new beach that has never been there before, which is good. It gives us even more places to fish.



After we waded back across the water to the mainland, with dogs in tow, we headed to the new beach. I am now standing on what is our new waterfront fishing property. I am getting really excited!



A nice looking beach, don't ya think? Across the water you can barely see our island we were just on.



We decide to head on over to another one of our favorite fishing spots. It's a huge rock formation, that we just call the "Rock". Bailey was very interested in the rapids. When we go river rafting, we have to go through these rapids. It's really the only "white" water rapids we have on the long stretch of river we raft on.



I never realized I had a camo dog. She blends in with the rocks quite well.



Bailey is really checking out the scenery. There were people across the river on another beach. We could also see river rafters coming down.



Bailey decides he wants to get his paws wet again. He wanted to keep going, but we called him back. The river goes through here pretty fast and we didn't want him to get swept away. That has happened to us before with another dog we use to have. He was out swimming and the current took him away, he ended up on the other side of the river and my OH had to walk and swim to the other side to get him back. I don't think that dog ever swam again!



Way off in the distance are some river rafters. You can't see them in this picture. But Bailey noticed them.



We hung out until the rafters came through the rapids. Here they are on the other side of our island.



I was able to get a family picture, without me.



On our way back, I took Sadie off the leash. It is so hard to have both dogs on the extended leashes. Since I knew Sadie wouldn't leave me or my OH, we let her run. I don't think Bailey was liking that too much. We decided to head back over to our island. But I left my camera and cell phone on the beach this time, before we waded through the water. One thing I can not be without would be my camera and cell phone! The dogs weren't as scared to swim back to the island. Once on the island, we took Bailey off the leash. We knew he wouldn't swim on his own to get to the other beach with the trees. But he sure tried to find his way off the island. Bailey and Sadie ran up and down the beach, played in the water, rolled in the dirt. At this point I really wish I would have brought my camera with me. But I didn't want to wade back to get it. We stayed on the island for around 45 minutes and let the dogs just run. Than it was time to put Bailey back on the leash and swim back to shore.

It was so much fun, the dogs loved it and we found some great new fishing holes. I love this time of year!

19 comments:

Gail said...

Wonderful spot on the river.

baystatebrumby said...

This is such a great and beautiful place. You have so many cool places to be outdoors around your house. Reading your your blog is such an adventure each time. I really love it! I also love how your OH is wearing aqua socks!!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Beautiful , it looks like fun

Ali said...

Aww how much fun was that!! Here comes a Duke story...lol... He was SO afraid of water when he was young, we took him swimming and tricked him into jumping off a dock into a lake. He went under and couldn't touch and freaked out. Jim had to rescue him. We tried teaching him to swim but he was too "butt heavy" as we called it and he never got the hang of it. After that, he always barked and barked at water. One time we went to this Halloween party at the dog park and they had bobbing for hotdogs in a baby pool. Duke WOULD NOT put his paws in. My sister and I "helped him" and once he realized he could touch the bottom he was alright. Sheesh! He finally got used to water and loved our creek, but still hated when he couldn't touch the bottom.

Your dogs are just so beautiful, did I ever tell you I almost named Duke Bailey? Give them big huge hugs for me! Thanks for bringing some good memories back =)

cowgirljlynn said...

DO you ever look for agates while you are there!

Pony Girl said...

Those pictures turned out awesome, like you took them with my Nikon! :) It's so funny that Bailey hates the water and Sadie loves it!
Cowgirljlynn, we have looked for agates, but there aren't really any. There are a lot of interesting and cool rocks, but not the agates we use to find at the beach!

Esther Garvi said...

Lots of life quality for both the aussies and their humans!!

cdncowgirl said...

Looks wonderful! Is it possible to get the horses down there?
My friend lives really close to a similar spot on our river and it was great riding there last summer.

MudMapImages said...

What an awesome watering hole....those doggies would of been itching to get in the water :-)

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Love the pictures!! The views are so pretty!! I'm glad you found you some good fishing holes!!!

That's funny about the dogs and swimming, all of my Aussie's love to swim. But one dog I had in particular she LOVED swimming. In our old house we had a pretty deep man made pond and this dog a Miniature Pincher swam in it every day!!! Crazy dof she was!!

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Good to hear from you, thanks for stopping by! Your blog is wonderful. I really like the photos of the beautiful scenery! You and your sis are very talented. Luanne

Jessica said...

Your stretch of the river is just beautiful. What a fun day for your guys and the doggies. Anytime that you can let them run and know that they will stick around is so great! I don't have many of those moments! ;) Bet you're just itchin' for fishing season! Kuntry Boy loves to fish, but I've never been big on it. I do love the scenery, though, and a lot of times go down just to visit with him.

Leah Fry said...

What a fun day!You'll have to get out your cookbooks and look for fish recipes.

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

that is really nice country you all have up there paint girl! pics are awesome! i am glad you had a great family outing with the doggies! cute post about the english saddle. maybe get a gel pad for under the saddle as the other pad might be too thin...that is what most eventers do. for blue i have a genuine sheepskin pad and a thin gel pad since his back is sore. then again, maybe the saddle didn't fit her correctly either. we always measure 4 fingers under the pommel to be sure the whithers aren't being crunched. either way, i am glad you had fun! brandy is really pretty!

Tara said...

What a couple of spoiled pups. Jax would love this!!!

Anonymous said...

looks like just another day in paradise... where our saturday looked totally different... at the show overlooking mountains in the forest... good day

blessings
gp

Melanie said...

Your stretch of river looks like it is a lot of fun. Fishing, swimming, and sun bathing...what more could you ask for??? And what a nice way to cool off.....

Anonymous said...

Looks like an awesome adventure for both and the doggies! We love to take the Labs to the lake-they dive in the moment we take the leashes off!!!
Jen

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! You're so lucky to own land at the river! Your own private access road, your own island and stellar fishing spots! Awesome! Can you ever move to that area and build a cabin or would it end up being flooded during the winter? How far is your river land from your home? Can you bring your horses there to ride them along the river, too?

That's wild about the logs. How do they end up there? Is it really that fast, deep and strong during the winter? That's a little bit scary!

You two are going to have such an awesome time fishing there. I enjoyed all your photos, too. Happy Dogs!

~Lisa