
As I was walking to the arena to drop off everything I would need for today's lesson, I see that Fritzy was in a deep sleep. She was snoring, I am not kidding! Snoring! I never knew my horse snored. I was even making a lot of noise, she didn't move a muscle! Lazy horse! Or am I just being rude and interrupting her nap?

Hey Fritzy, wake up! It's training time! Doesn't she look thrilled?

I had a feeling that she was going to be all gooey on the left side, before she stood up, she rolled and ground more mud into her fur. I get her to the arena to clean her up, not much I can do for that side yet. It is soaking wet in goo.

Here is a close up. Yuck. What is it with white horses? Actually, I have always secretly wished she had more black. Do you think the wet goo helps with my secret wish? Nah!

I started our lesson with some light longing. My arena was still a little slippery from all the rain we had earlier in the week. After longing, we went to work on just moving forward and away from me in a small circle. She remembered this pretty well from the other day. I than moved onto sidepassing from the ground. I had much better success at this, especially going to the right. Instead of Fritzy trying to back up, she actually took a step to the side! Wow! I than moved to the other side to get her to sidepass to the left. UH OH, BRICK WALL! I was starting to wonder if she was actually ever going to move those feet sideways! Finally, she took one small step! Let me tell you, she got alot of praise for that one small step! Whew! The next time I asked her, it took her awhile to respond, but not as long as the first time, and she stepped to the side again. I am just so glad she isn't just trying to back up, like the other day!
After the sidepassing, we moved on to another one of Fritzy's "I do not want to do that" lessons. This is one where she is so resistant. If I am standing right in front of her and want her to move backwards, she just turns her head to the right and won't look at me, she keeps it this way until I pull her head back towards me. I am using a Parelli technique on this exercise. When I shake the lead, I want her to back, or if I put my hands up and towards her face, she should back up. This is where I get the resistance. Fritzy looks away and keeps her head there, she also walks forward, not back. What I ended up having to do, was stand off to her right side, blocking her from turning her head in that direction, for some reason she doesn't turn her head to the left. Since I am in a position that is keeping her head straight, she listens to me much better and isn't being as resistant! I get her to move a step back with a shake of the leadrope. Lots of praise again! We did this a couple more times and stopped on a good note.

I have 3 days off in a row next week, so I will be out with Fritzy. I'd like to get some consecutive training days in. After next Saturday, I will have alot of time to work with her, and Brandy! I let Fritzy graze for awhile, oh, can you see her hip now? White again! After all the training in the arena, it finally dried and I was able to brush it right off! Look who's sneaking into my picture!

My little Indian Pony Brandy!

Someone else decided to sneak up on us. A spotted boy. You could have at least given me your happy face! Pony Girl is reading this you know!

On my way back to put Fritzy away, I noticed someone was using that really cool stump. I knew the goats had cleaned it out, but I have never seen a goat in there before. Rowdy was taking a nap inside! Look closely, he is hard to see in there!

I was pretty happy with how today's lesson went. I am now so excited for Monday!


13 comments:
Awesome!!! You are making great progress with Fritzy!! I hope your 3 days give you good weather so you can get out there and do your training! Ha love the goat in the cool stump!!
Rowdy is so cute in that stump! I want a goat!
What a great place for a goat. I always feel bad when I have to wake up my horses to ride them. I used to board Bombay when I first owned him, and the barn owner would never let me take him away from his food to ride. I'd swear that every time I went over to see him, he was either eating or sleeping. I got a lot more riding in once I moved him over to my property, because I could change his feeding times to suit my schedule.
I'm looking forward to some play time this weekend, and if there's time, Amber needs a bath. She has some funky skin crud. I think people underestimate how much work it is to clean a horse!
That tree is cool. Goat stump!
Glad you had a good lesson with Fritzi! Dusty has a problem not coming foward after I have backed him up on the ground. They all have their little kinks. Enjoy you days off. Love the tree goat!
Gotta love a good training session! I love the goat napping under "their" stump. Smart guy! Have a great long weekend!!
Boy is Fritzy ever gorgeous. I love the black and white--she is so spectacular. And how funny that she was so zonked out! I'm glad you got a photo of her! All your animals look like they have such personality. The goat in the stump?! Brnady sneaking into the photo!? It's all so cute and fun to read about. Glad you had a good lesson. Good lessons renew my faith in everything!
Yay for progress! It's so fun to see improvements, no matter how small, when you get focused on something!
I didn't know horses snored! Too funny! And my pinto was the best roller I've ever seen! She could get dirt and mud in places I didn't think could possibly touch the ground when they are rolling! lol I think the more white they have the more inclined to roll they are! Butt heads!
That is funny, I've never seen one of the goats in there, either! Perfect shady spot. I wonder if they flipped a coin for it? :)
I imagine Fritzy was snoring because she was so happy to have a hot summer day to nap!! Can't wait to hear how the further training goes!
Sure looks like you had a very productive day!!! And the goats got a good nap!
Sounds like a good lesson!
Love the goat pic !
Always interesting and fun things to see at the Painted Creek! Is there a story behind your twig teepee?
I bet Fritzy thought that wet mud felt heavenly. heheh! She cleaned up good, though. Her mane 'line' is so straight and glistening! Wow!
Kdeep up the good work. Sounds like it's all positive.
~Lisa
Post a Comment