Monday, May 18, 2009

A Great Trail Ride And A Little Bad Luck

Last week we planned to go on a trail ride on Sunday. We knew the weather was going to be beautiful and since we hadn't been on an actual trail ride since last fall, we were really excited. We get the horses loaded and drive to the trailhead, which is approximately 10 minutes away. We knew the trailhead would be packed, so once we got there and saw that there was really nowhere to park, we had to squeeze in between 2 big trucks and trailers, but we made it work.



Unfortunately, we only had enough room to use the 2 tie rings on the passenger side of the trailer, luckily no one was using the hitching post that is right behind us, so my sis took her boy over to it.



My OH took the initiative and groomed Fritzy, he even picked out all 4 of her hooves! Looks like my OH is ready to start lifting saddles for us girls! He was ready to hit the trail, so he was trying to hurry us along.



The way we usually start out on our trail rides, the trails were closed, at least that is what the sign said. So we decided to go the other way. Fritzy is very interested in the horses she see's up ahead.


Look how happy my OH is! I just love seeing him ride! Ok, this might not look like a happy face, but believe me, it is his happy face!


Here is my sis and my OH. We are heading the opposite way than we usually go.




We make it to the bathrooms, and we find out that there is a 4-H ride going on. They have to ride trails and there are judges placed all over on marked trails. There are different things they are judged on. They have different things set up on the trails, and we ended up running into one of them on our ride. Brandy actually had a difficult time with it, which kind of shocked me. Only because it involved a tarp. There was a woman, who was a judge, sitting in a chair with a tarp placed behind her, with a pretty Golden Retriever. Once Brandy saw the setup, she panicked. A couple minutes later, we had it all worked out, after some crowhopping, small rears and basically wanting to turn around and run the other way! Typical Brandy reaction. I have done alot of tarp work with Brandy, but I think just seeing it out on the trails, where she and I have never seen it before, made for a great training situation!



This is really funny to me, we can go out on a trail ride, even with a packed trailhead, and never run into anyone! But today, we ran into so many horses and different situations, which made it an for an interesting ride, but also a good time for training!



I was actually very happy with how the horses did, considering that they haven't been on a trail ride since last fall. They actually had quite a bit of energy, even with the heat and being out of shape.



There are a couple big, sand hills out here on our trails. The horses want to run up them, but I prefer them to walk. We actually don't run on the trails. I don't want my horses to start anticipating the "hills". Or for that matter, that they get to run on the trails. We do jog in certain areas but no running. I know alot of people that like to run up the hills, or run along a straight stretch of trail, but with the issues Brandy can have, at any given moment, I have to play it safe and do the responsible thing, especially if my OH is with me. He is still new to this horse thing!



Heading back to the trailhead.



This is the bridge where the ducks like to sit in the stream below. Once they here us crossing the bridge, they fly up, and away! Guess what happens? Brandy spooks and nearly takes us over the rail and into the stream below! This did not happen today! Yeah! I didn't see my life flash before my eyes!



We get back to the trailhead, we are now able to tie all 3 horses to the drivers side of my trailer. As I take the bridles back to the tack room, guess what I see. A flat tire on the truck. You have got to be kiddin' me!! What the heck? I yelled to my OH, that we had a problem, we have a flat tire on the truck. He is NOT happy. He pulls out our air compressor and tries to fill up the tire with air, the tire is fine, it is the valve stem that is toast, and the tire will not hold any air. This actually happened last year, with my horsetrailer. But luckily, my trailer was at home when we noticed. The valve stems, almost all of them, had leaks. They were the rubber valve stems and they were cracked. I took my trailer into the shop to have very nice valve stems put on, valve stems that were not rubber. I am wondering if our weather around here causes this. It can get cold than really warm very quickly, what is causing these dang valve stems to crack and leak?



So we move the horses over to the hitching rail, so they don't spook while my OH is jacking up the truck. He ran into a problem trying to release the spare from under the bed of the truck. Of course the spare has never been used, and is origional to the truck. To top things off, we have 35" tires on the truck, the spare is smaller than that. But at least it would get us home. We had a friend come up to help and he followed us home to make sure we got there ok.



Here we have made it home safely! Whew!



Brandy wants to know if we are home yet! After a 3 hour ride and a 2 hour delay, they are tired, grumpy, hot and very hungry! I don't blame them one bit! We were too!



Here is what our tires should look like on our truck.



Here is the spare. Looks like it lost some air on the way home. My OH filled it up before we left the trailhead. I am so glad we live only 10 minutes away from the trails! I also think we will be buying a new spare for the truck. You just never know what could happen. You always have to be prepared in any situation!



Once we got the horses bedded in for the evening, we put a ton of pork chops on the grill, grabbed a much needed beer and had an excellant dinner! All in all, it was an excellant day, with a little bad luck thrown in, to keep us on our toes, no less!

21 comments:

Esther Garvi said...

What an adventure! I'm so glad you got to go on a trail again! Sorry for the flat tire, but at least you made it back safely!

juliette said...

At least the trail ride was fun! That is terrible about the tire!

baystatebrumby said...

Well, a flat tire is definately better than a spook on a little narrow bridge like that in the photo!! I almost shrieked when I saw that! I don't know what Lilly would think of it!! But I think you are VERY BRAVE for riding ovger it!!!!! Your trail ride looks AWSUM. Yopu are so lucky that your OH likes to ride! My husband would never get on a horse!!!

Pony Girl said...

It looks like I am waiting for a horse taxi in that one picture, LOL! ;) That was a good ride, despite the flat tire situation when we were tired, hot, and hungry! Oh, I think if your OH ran up one of those hills on Fritzy, there'd be no going back, he'd want to do that on every ride!!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried to put some kind of lubricant on your valve stems, maybe a thick motor oil, vaseline, or bag balm? That may help if it is dry rot. At least you had a great ride.
Stephanie
Indiana

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds like a great ride! Too bad about the tire ,but alls well that ends well.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's some bum luck, but it sounds like you took it all in stride.

Melanie said...

Sweet truck!!!! At least you had the flat tire while you were parked and not while you were driving down the road, right? Glad you guys were able to get out and have a nice trail ride.

My hubby used to have a horse and go riding with me a lot. Once we move back out, I think he will get another one. :)

April said...

What a big day! At least you all weren't hours away from home, that wouldn't be fun.
My Mom's Appaloosa, George, is afraid of ducks also. We encountered some white ones on one of our rides and he spent the whole ride home looking behind him to make sure they weren't following him. Silly boy!

Desert Rose said...

As long as the ride was good...and it was, who care about a little flat tire!!!LOL At least you had Your OH with you to cowboy up!

Patches said...

I totally feel your pain on the pesky flat tires on lifted trucks! Part of my argument for a new truck is so that I don't have to worry about not having a spare! ;) Atleast you got a nice trail ride in! *Jealous!* I'm super curious where that trail is. I swear it looks familiar! Are you guys in WA?

Jessica said...

Looks like a fun, fun day! The weather sure was beautiful for it! I LOVE your trailer! Your ponies are travelin' in style! Glad all turned out well with the tire...always nice to have the OH along when something goes awry like that!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looks like you all enjoyed your first trail ride of the season, even with the little bit of bad luck. And the horses got some great training in, too. I admire you for being able to deal with situations that Brandy sometimes gives you.

That's weird about the valve stems. We've never had any problems with them or know anyone who has. And we live where it's dry all the time. You would think with all your moisture it would keep the rubber or whatever other material moist and supple....not dry and cracked.
Hmmmm. But you know what? When we lived in South Carolina we had a terrible time with our windshield wiper rubber. They were always turning brittle and cracking. And you know how humid, wet and hot it gets there. Weird. I just don't know. Maybe the suggestion someone else made of adding oil or bag balm....even WD-40 would work?

So why did the horses have to drive for 3 hours? I thought you said the trails were only 10 mins away? I'm guessing you were driving really...really sloooow? lol!

~Lisa

Paint Girl said...

Stephanie~ thanks for the idea on the valve stems!

Patches~ Please email me! thepaintedcreek@gmail.com

Lisa~ I guess I should have made myself more clear on the "3 hr ride"! What I meant was that we rode the horses on the trails for 3 hours! So I just called it a 3 hour ride! LOL! You are sooo funny! You know how slow we would have to be driving to get from the trailhead to my house? Slower than a snail pace! :)

Anonymous said...

Tarps are always scary and look as though they have fangs :) Bummer about the flat.

cowgirljlynn said...

Glad the three of you got to go on a ride! It was a beautiful weekend!

Maery Rose said...

Sounds like a great ride, despite the flat tire and the crowd on the trail. Running up hills depends on the horse. I let Murphy do it today because he needs the exercise. I wouldn't let Luke do it because he gets too spun up. And I wouldn't do it if someone in the group is a beginner or has a horse that can be a problem. Used to ride with a neighbor that would take off at a dead run without warning me. Drove me crazy!

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

those trails look super nice. we don't have anything like that here. way to go on the bridge! i am not sure my young blue would go across that thing! sorry about the tire. i had a flat on my trailer once at a show and thankfully mom and dad were there to help!

The Wildwood said...

Well life is full of unexpected suprises especially when you are tired, hungry and ready to be home relaxing. It looks like the weather is so beautiful and you all had a great time.
Your mom missed out on a good weekend ride with her kiddos!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

What a great day!!! Minus the tire problem and being packed :) I know the pain of the flat tires and the spare not fitting, my Hubby always has bigger tires on our truck LOL!! Luckily it's a dually so if one goes flat we can navigate where we need to.. I'm glad you got to relax after all was said and done!!

Trailboss said...

Looks like you guys had a great ride. I have only ridden my mare once this year. I was going to ride Sunday but she had a swollen ankle. It's better now since I have been giving her meds. I am on vacation next week. We were supposed to go to Ohio but I'm not sure we are still going. If we don't and it doesn't rain every day I will be SURE to go riding. I can't wait to get her off of the farm and into the woods.